Captured after a final stronghold in the mountains in 1802, a sentence of death was delayed until after the birth of her child. Bagneux Spa Resorts; Bagneux Business Hotels; By Hotel Class. Yes, really, that’s all… I haven’t found any older sources yet. Monument / Hommage a la Mulatresse Solitude, Bagneux: See reviews, articles, and photos of Monument / Hommage a la Mulatresse Solitude, ranked No.5 on Tripadvisor among 5 attractions in Bagneux. Nothing much. As I was recently telling you about As unfortunately too often for the history of women in this period, there is very little information in historical sources.

This is the kind of book I would recommend to history students at university to think about the life of slaves on colonial plantations, the painful relationship to colour, the resistance….Step by step, the mulattress Solitude has entered into the collective memory of Guadeloupe and even beyond. Do you have in mind women figures of resistance to the oppression of slavery?Entrez vos coordonnées ci-dessous ou cliquez sur une icône pour vous connecter:Ce site utilise Akismet pour réduire les indésirables. In fact, it is a good book if you want to get closer to what the slave trade and slavery in the French Caribbean meant, because the proposed historical universe is credible and documented. The novel, La Mulâtresse Solitude, tells the story of Bayangumay, a stubborn, cheerful young African girl, who is captured and deported to Guadeloupe. And in this game, Schwarz-Bart’s novel is very good.In the story, we first follow the destiny of Bayangumay, born in Africa, who suffered the difficult crossing of the Atlantic and the enslavement on a Guadeloupean habitation. What are we sure of? I do not develop any more to let you discover the story for yourself.In any case, I was not disappointed: the literary style, the progression, the psychological construction of the characters and the nuanced development of the relationships between the different people… really caught me up as the pages went by.

What we know about the life of Solitude is mostly part of the legendary story. Everything we know (or think we know) comes from a few lines written by Auguste Lacour in his Resistant, captured, pregnant, condemned to death, suplicied in 1802.

Another statue created by the sculptor Nicolas Alquin was then erected in 2007 in Bagneux as part of the commemorations of the abolition of slavery and the slave trade. In 1972, the French writer André Schwarz-Bart published a novel based on the historical context of the era and the little that was known about Solitude. In 1999, a statue representing her and whose features are made by Jacky Poulier was inaugurated by the municipality of Abymes in Guadeloupe. La Mulâtresse Solitude (circa 1772 – 1802) was an enslaved domestic, a historical figure and heroine of the fight against slavery on Guadeloupe. She survived the battle of May 28, 1802, but was imprisoned by the French. I came out with the desire to read a sequel, which L’Ancêtre en Solitude should do. The author makes her the mother of Solitude. Solitude, the symbolic construction for the collective memory. In 2007, another statue was erected in her memory, this time in the Guadeloupe Solitude, as she is also known, is being currently considered for inclusion in the French UNESCO has honoured her in an educational file. She gives birth to a mulatto, Rosalie, after being raped on the ship that took her to the West Indies.

Her name and history are increasingly being used to remind us of the history of black women.And you, do you know of any other historical sources that speak of Solitude?

Step by step, the mulattress Solitude has entered into the collective memory of Guadeloupe and even beyond. Because she was pregnant at the time of her imprisonment, she was not to be hanged until November 29 of the same year, one day after giving birth. The rest of its history is what we can legitimately imagine. One of our readings yesterday focused on the story of Solitude, a resistance fighter who bravely fought alongside the men against the reestablishment of slavery. Another statue created by the sculptor Nicolas Alquin was then erected in 2007 in Bagneux … 3-stars Hotels in Bagneux; Near Landmarks. Hotels in der Nähe von Monument / Hommage à la Mulâtresse Solitude, Bagneux: Auf Tripadvisor finden Sie 9'146 bewertungen von reisenden, 364 authentische Reisefotos und Top-Angebote für 30 hotels Hotels in Bagneux. The …

Top Bagneux Monuments & Statues: See reviews and photos of monuments & statues in Bagneux, France on Tripadvisor. In 1999, a statue representing her and whose features are made by Jacky Poulier was inaugurated by the municipality of Abymes in Guadeloupe. Bagneux Restaurants; Things to Do in Bagneux; Bagneux Travel Forum; Bagneux Photos; Bagneux Map; Bagneux Travel Guide; All Bagneux Hotels; Bagneux Hotel Deals; By Hotel Type. Chercher, découvrir, transmettre /Search, discover, shareI took advantage of the end-of-year celebrations to immerse myself in good literature. Her mother was an enslaved woman from Africa, and her father was a sailor who raped her mother at sea when she was transported from Africa to the West Indies. The novel then turns to what Solitude’s life may have been like from childhood until his death. She was called "La Mulâtresse" ('Female Mulatto') because of her origin, which had some importance for her in the racial hierarchy of the society of the time: because she was noted to have pale skin and pale eyes, she was given domestic work rather than being forced to work in the fields. Cliquez pour partager sur Twitter(ouvre dans une nouvelle fenêtre)Cliquez pour partager sur Facebook(ouvre dans une nouvelle fenêtre)Cliquez pour partager sur LinkedIn(ouvre dans une nouvelle fenêtre)Voir le profil de jessica-pierre-louis-2b0a87112/ sur LinkedIn She has been the subject of legends and a symbol of the struggle against slavery. This year, I fell in love with André Schwarz-Bart’s book La mulâtresse Solitude. She was born on the island of Guadeloupe around 1772.