gender. Connell and Robert W. Connell) is an Australian sociologist.
In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.Excellent example of contemporary sociology at its best

The case presentation technique is also very effective.

A very interesting and easy to read book which formed the central theory behind masculinity studies. She is currently Professor Emeritus at the University of Sydney and known for the concept of hegemonic masculinity and southern theory.

It's good shit and if you are interested in thinking about masculinity in any way, I highly reccomend this book.

Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (Routledge Classics) great book, an historical overview of the way masculinity has been constructed throuhout the years

We’d love your help.
Raewyn Connell, usually cited as R. W. Connell, is an Australian sociologist.She gained prominence as an intellectual of the Australian New Left.

The book is a pioneer in advocating the plural forms of masculinities/sexualities/gender identities, which is a common acceptance in gender studies field now. Connell shows that this "hegemonic masculinity" organises men's relationships towards women and other men who do not meet this ideal.

This is an exciting new edition of R. W. Connell's ground-breaking text, which has become a classic work on the nature and construction of masculine identity. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Connell attacks the obviousness being male in this volume. Most of the international literature on gender and masculinity uses conceptual frameworks derived from the global North. Thus the body is an important means of sending as well as receiving social messages.A sociological study among Australian men. Exploring Masculinities: Identity, Inequality, Continuity and Change Connell calls "masculinities." practices, such as discipline systems and school sport.A critical survey of Northern thinking about masculinity, a theoretical available Australian research bearing on men’s health, and its implications for

I don't agree with another reviewer that Connell only talked about limited aspects of masculinity in one country in this book. It's very useful for me in thinking about gender relations, social issues and conducting qualitative studies with men. Please try againSorry, we failed to record your vote. section, crystallized this idea. of a new theoretical framework, this paper helped establish the idea that there psychoanalysis, feminist theory, gay theory, and structural sociology. She combines her past academic efforts in education, political science, and feminism and over two decades of ethnographic studies on men and masculinities to develop her theory for understanding masculinities. The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love

At that time, anyone interested in power structures could see that

I was very impressed by her wide knowledge and enthusiasm on this topic. One of the most important books in sociology by a pre-eminent Australian sociologist.

heartland of the new capitalism, there is a strong pattern of gender hierarchy.A history of the concept and its uses, a review of the debates around I have attended a 3-day workshop on masculinities by Dr. Connell in 2006 in Taiwan. Hegemonic masculinity is whatever is culturally dominant within a particular society at a given period of time and it can change.