Heck, the NES version is inexplicably more fun than the arcade original, which is something you never saw back in the day. The quintessential platformer, it's hard to imagine a video game industry today without Super Mario Bros. Fester's Quest was a title my brother and I would borrow from them over and over again. Considering the massive Japanese Famicom library is a completely different beast. Final Fantasy also offered new ways to navigate its sprawling overworld. Pro-Am – without it, racing games might have just been all about steering and accelerating.This fantastic racing game was the first game I owned for my NES and it kept me hooked for weeks.

Just to be extra cool, and to remind you you're still in the '80s. A great, overlooked game that deserves more recognition today than it got back in 1992.What an unsung classic this, and the Game Boy version, is. Metal Storm Bye-bye, Abobo.What stuck out most for me about Double Dragon II was how varied the game was.

I still believe that the NES original is the greatest top-down racer ever developed.When Mega Man finally hit American shores in the late '80s, Capcom couldn't have realized the gaming force it unleashed. Speed boosting strips placed directly on the track also made their first appearance in this design, which was so well received that it went on to inspire several sequels as well as influence the creation of Nintendo's own hybrid combat/racing series, Mario Kart.

Defeat a cool-looking mouse by throwing its own bombs back at it. This boat-based action/racing design was based on the engine the studio had developed for the classic R.C.

Begin playing the best Nintendo game ROMs and be sure to vote for the emulator games you liked playing!
Oops. For whatever reason, Nintendo didn't include a battery in the cartridge for the customizable track option, so if you turned off the system…poof! Seen from a three-quarters viewpoint that placed every environment on an angle relative to the player, you were tasked to take command of a snake that, initially, had no body.

Treat them well and you'll be riding through the eight islands in style.As a major Wonder Boy fan, I naturally thought Adventure Island was some kind of rip-off.

Many gamers wanted a port of Konami's arcade beat-'em-up of the same name instead, but had to wait until 1991, when a port of the arcade classic came to the NES under the TMNT 2 moniker.Once again I say "screw you Angry Nintendo Nerd" with this one. Gamers' apprehension quickly dissipated, though, when what resulted was an amazing game full of an inordinate amount of depth. Main character Ryu Hayabusa wielded a katana with deadly precision, and he had a grouping of special weapons to use as well. Fast moving platforms, icy terrain and blocks that couldn't be broken by your mallet ruled the day, and Ice Climber got excruciatingly hard in the latter stages. Excitebike was one of the 18 launch titles for the NES here in America, and distanced itself from the pack by offering truly addictive motocross gameplay.

An irate watermelon spits seed at you at the end of one level, while a very angry water faucet lurks at the conclusion of another. And as I recall, Ninja Gaiden II taught me to slide button presses for instant jump slashes, a skill that helped when I graduated to fighting games.One of the unsung heroes of the action/RPG genre from the NES era, Crystalis was such an intriguing and unique adventure in its first release in 1990 that Nintendo itself actually went back, got the rights to it, and re-released it ten years later as a first-party Game Boy Color port. Kickle Cubicle's appeal seemed to be centered in its balanced approach.

Kid Niki: Radical Ninja This game had everything that made the first what it was: from the slick graphics and amazing music, to the awesome cutscenes and silky-smooth gameplay.