Most of it is basic and intuitive and the recommended careers are very narrowly scoped. Be the first to ask a question about 80,000 Hours In 2015, President Obama said in his State of the Union address that: 18 “No challenge poses a greater threat to future generations than climate change” Climate change is certainly a major risk to civilisation. Reducing our reliance on burning fuels might also reduce air pollution, However, this consideration is not as strong as it might at first appear. Being in line with the effective altruism movement, the book suggests that an important part of your decision is whether you can maximize positive contributions to the most pressing problems in the world. Geoengineering may become more attractive to governments in the future if large temperature increases occur. Robert Wiblin: Hi listeners, this is the 80,000 Hours Podcast, where each week we have an unusually in-depth conversation about one of the world’s most pressing problems and how you can use your career to solve it. All content tagged "Climate change" 2020. We don’t take responsibility for any loss that results from the use of information on the site. A solid introduction to the website. Useful and thought-provoking, though premised on elitist principles. Each distinct assigned path has different consequences. I've sometimes felt effective altruism (EA) implies that if you're not the very best at something (like a global development job) you're simply wasting resources and should get out of the way (and just earn to give). While most of the rationales presented are helpful, they are mostly so for people in high-income countries (fully disclosed in the book) and those who indeed have the privilege to choose. So all else equal we’d usually advise people to work on those issues instead.That said, this consideration only applies if you’re a good fit for working on one of these other threats or another more promising area. We don’t take responsibility for any loss that results from the use of information on the site. However some options such as efficiency are straightforward.In writing this profile, we drew mainly on Rogelj et al.’s The planet is warming over time as a result of increasing carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere due to the burning of fossil fuels. Not a comprehensive guide, but having read a lot of other material from a lot of other sources, I found that this book contained most of the material from the top 10% of what I'd read. In addition to the intrinsic importance of the previous suggestion, the advice is also rooted in the argument that, after some thresholds, high-income may improve evaluations of life but it does not increase emotional well-being. C of fossil fuels — a conservative estimate of the total amount of fossil fuels on the planet. And the risks are only projected to increase in the coming years. Please consult our 80,000 Hours is part of the Centre for Effective Altruism, a registered charity in England and Wales (Charity Number 1149828) and a registered 501(c)(3) Exempt Organization in the USA (EIN 47-1988398).We do our best to provide useful information, but how you use the information is up to you. How likely extreme feedback loops are, what might happen if they were triggered, and how fast this could all happen are questions on which we would like to see much more research.In general, because humanity is currently adapted to certain climatic conditions, changing those conditions comparatively rapidly can be expected to act as a ‘stressor,’ causing tensions, reducing economic growth, and making it harder to handle other issues.There seem to be many different, complex ways that climate change could contribute to our overall risk of extinction in the coming centuries, though the mechanisms are speculative.It seems like climate change could contribute to effects like food or water shortages, displacement, or dissatisfaction with governments — which might in turn increase the risk of national or international conflict. However, this book does not measure up to the expanse of this project. I’m finally really happy about what I’m doing and where I’m going but it probably wouldn’t have taken me 17 I wish this book had been available to me when I graduated 17 years back. The book version is static and dangerously authoritative, where the website allows for personalization and broader, more dynamic thinking. I can only find one fault with this book-that it wasn't available 30 years ago!

For example, the biggest leap forward in our ability to cause destruction — the development of the atom bomb — happened in a war context.Especially in an economically and ecologically stressed context, great power conflict could also lead to societal collapse, for instance if enough economic, legal, and technological infrastructure is destroyed. However, continued investment in geoengineering research may also cause More research could better inform policymakers about the likelihood of the extreme risks of climate change as well as strategies to reduce those risks. Please consult our 80,000 Hours is part of the Centre for Effective Altruism, a registered charity in England and Wales (Charity Number 1149828) and a registered 501(c)(3) Exempt Organization in the USA (EIN 47-1988398).We do our best to provide useful information, but how you use the information is up to you. I've sometimes felt effective altruism (EA) implies that if you're not the very best at something (like a global development job) you're simply wasting resources and should get out of the way (and just eaI have mixed feelings about this book. If you have the will to do well, you should read the website, and think through the Collation of results from a very grand project: to channel young careerist thousands into better tasks in higher gear. There is thus a wide range of possible outcomes.